Thursday 7 March 2013

My Interview with the great author Ruskin Bond


Some delightful moments with Ruskin Bond

........before u read it i hv something to share with u all, when i had this interview with Mr. Bond I was nt comfortable with speaking english nor i was fluent with this tongue. it was a big deal for me, i was hasitating in doing so, a fear was creeping in my mind that would i be able to do so. I visited my supervisor, my Mentor Dr. Aruna Sharma then she counsell me n boost me with confidance that i can do it. She guided me took an audio recorder, make ur questionaire before going there, first listen him very carefully,  explain him ur fears n definately he'll help u, she said I m sure u r going to rock. it was her belief in me that came true, i explained my situation to Mr. Bond first he laughed n then he coperated with with in every way.......n the result is here....




(An Interview with Ruskin Bond on March 2nd, 2005 at Ivy Cottage, Landhore Cantt. Mussoorie, Dehradoon, Uttaranchal)



Abha Sirohi : Sir, I am fond of your works from the very early age and I have undertaken a research projected on A Study of Theme & Technique in the Novels of Ruskin Bond”. So for that purpose I need your kind cooperation and guidance. In this regard to satisfy my bent of mind I want to ask some questions about you and your work which always creeps over my mind I hope you’ll cooperate me for this.


Ruskin Bond : It’s my pleasure.


Abha Sirohi : Sir, first of all I want to congratulate you and wish you best of luck for this Australian Prize for literature. How are you feeling now when you have  nominated for this award?


Ruskin Bond : Abha, thanks for your wishes. This award is yet to be decided, I am one of the nominee from the different countries. It is very satisfying for me to be a part of this award.


Abha Sirohi : Sir, which things affected your work?


Ruskin Bond : By different writers, my teachers when I was at school, by my father when I was young and by my environment and people that came into my contact.


Abha Sirohi : Sir, what inspired to come in this field?


Ruskin Bond : Well, I was very fond of books and reading. I wanted to be a writer and thought of those whom I admire. I was highly impressed by Dickens’ book ‘David Copperfield’. I read the books of Charles Lamb, Priestley and the short stories of that age. In my school time I read Tagore, Narayan, and Mulkraj Anand and all these writers have influenced me in their own way. My teachers encouraged me and helped me to develop my writing and they also taught meclarity of expression and choice of right words. So all these things inspired me to be a writer.


Abha Sirohi : What is the motivation behind your stories, what do you want to show through your work?

Ruskin Bond  : I want to show basic decencies of nature, the wonder of nature and the world around us and also the dominate world of childhood.

Abha Sirohi : Sir, what are the main themes of your work?

Ruskin Bond : Nature, childhood, human relations and basically I am a story teller because I am very fond of stories.

Abha Sirohi : As basically you are a writer of nature , how do you feel about it?


Ruskin Bond : Well, I am close to nature in my fiction there is struggle with nature. Those  who live with nature always survive, such as the girl Sita in “Sita and the River” and Bisnu in the “Panthers Moon”. I believe that nature has both the faces –gentle and destructive, but it is the gentle face that dominates. I have shown the realistic approach of nature.


Abha Sirohi : Sir, in the novel ‘The Room on the Roof’ I analyzed that friendship is a very  important part of your life. In your opinion what is friendship?

Ruskin Bond : For me friendship means a meeting of two minds or two people who have  mutual sympathy. 


Abha Sirohi : Sir, I read ‘The India I Love’ in spite of being a British your affection and love for India is really amazing. Is there any particular reason behind it?


Ruskin Bond : Because I am an Indian. My heart is here. I spent my childhood here. India is  my real home. I belong to the grass, to the trees, to the hills here. It’s in my blood.


Abha Sirohi : In this modern era what is your message to the society, what do you want to convey to the young generation?


Ruskin Bond : I wish to convey that they must look for the best in life, and not to be completely given over to the material possessions but to be spiritual aspects of the life also.

Abha Sirohi : Tell us something about your life?


Ruskin Bond : Well, you’ll find a lot of about me and my life in my autobiographies like ‘Scenes From a Writer’s Life’ and one more book is there ‘The Lamp Is Lit’.


Abha Sirohi : What is the main difference do you find in the past time to the present?


Ruskin Bond : Not a great deal of difference in human nature because human beings no need to say progressing in technical field?


Abha Sirohi : Tell us something about your achievements in your prescribed field of writing.


Ruskin Bond : Well, I received many awards for my works, but Sahitya Akademy Award in 1992 
and Padam Shree in 1999 was quite satisfying. 

Abha Sirohi : What are unexplored aspects of your work?


Ruskin Bond : I can not identify any particular aspect because I write that in which I was interested and rest is up to the critics what they say.


Abha Sirohi : What is your future perspective?


Ruskin Bond : Well, some books are in proceeding and I want to work more and write a lot of books.


Abha Sirohi : Any sort of critical work or research if have been done on you or your work?


Ruskin Bond : Yes, Meena Khorana from U.S.A. and many more writers and authors are there, besides it a lot of researches have been done.


Abha Sirohi : O.K. Thank you Sir for your wonderful cooperation.


Ruskin Bond : Abha, the pleasure is entirely mine, thank you.


Abha Sirohi : Good Bye, have a nice day!


………………………………………………………………………………...........................................




3 comments:

  1. Vuuuuuuuuut👿💩

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. do follow our fan page on facebook..Fans of Ruskin Bond. We the team of FORB would be delighted.
    We also release a quarterly newsletter Bonding over Bond.
    Thank you and Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete